Tuesday, May 27, 2014
I had a really awesome weekend, everyone! Like super fantastic levels of awesome. I went to X-Men: Days of Future Past with Megan and Pearl on Friday, and it was incredible. It's my favorite Marvel movie since The Avengers, and it's probably my favorite X-Men movie now. First Class was so good, but I'll be the first to admit that a lot of the reason it's so great is the palpable Charles/Erik sexual tension. Days of Future Past was just a solid fucking story. Go see it if you haven't already, for real!
I spent Saturday in bed with Lyall watching movies and catching up on some of my shows, which was obviously perfect and the most relaxing. And then on Sunday I had a very long, very laid back bottomless mimosa brunch with Rose and Megan at the Night Light Lounge. I kind of want to do this every weekend now, guys. Bottomless mimosas are where it's at! Endless mimosa ocean forever and ever. Heaven. Then I spent the evening watching basketball, playing Mario Kart 64, and drinking beer with a friend from work. And that was awesome. If you've ever wondered if you could beat Banshee Boardwalk on 150 cc Grand Prix while intoxicated, you can't. Well, you can. But it's so hard you guys. So hard.
And then for the third and final glorious weekend day, I slept until 2:00 pm, drank a ton of coffee, and then had a serious hankering for barbecue. So I made Megan go to Podnah's with me, where I got the beef brisket. It was uh-mazing. It wasn't Texas barbecue but it was damn close.
So yeah, it was a pretty fuckin' killer weekend. Good people, good movies, good food, good TIMES! I'm still in such a good mood! Why can't it be a three-day weekend every week? Or maybe I should just go to bed on time so I'm not exhausted and need 15 hours of sleep per night for 3 nights just to catch up. Working at 6:00 am. The struggle is real.
Thursday, May 22, 2014
God, I feel like so much has happened since I last blogged. Even though not much has, really, except life. I'm 28 now, and I keep forgetting. It feels like I was 27 for about 5 minutes, and now I'm 28? I'm gonna be 30 before I can blink, and I really can't handle that.
Since so many things have happened, and so many things are going on in my head, here is a list to help me sort it out and convey it in a vaguely organized way:
1. Sportsball! I now own four Blazers shirts, one pair of Blazers earrings, and a light-up foam thingy from the Blazers game that I went to last Monday with Rose. We got free tickets from my friend Mario, who is incredible and who we still owe a fabulous thank-you gift, because our seats would have been $450 each had we paid for the tickets. It was an incredible experience, and I will never forget my first Blazers game, which they won! It was the best late birthday gift ever.
2. Mom came to visit! She arrived last Thursday and stayed until Monday evening. We ate delicious food (Indian, Thai, mac & cheese), drank mango margaritas, and talked about important life things. I love my mom, and I love that we can cry together and talk about really meaningful personal things, and then watch a romantic comedy and bond over Matthew Goode's hotness. It made me so happy to share my new Portland existence with one of the people who helped make it possible for me to stay here. Thank you for everything, Mom!
3. Only Lovers Left Alive. It is the greatest movie. Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston as a vampire couple; that is all you need to know. I adored it.
4. Dad came to visit! It was briefer than my mom's stay, and he came with his girlfriend, so I didn't get to see as much of him as I would have liked, but it was still so great to sit and talk about adulty things with him. Now that I'm in my late twenties I feel like I can finally begin to relate to my parents as fellow adults instead of authority figures. My dad still dads out on me sometimes by demanding that I visit the doctor when I'm feeling ill, for example (which turned out to be good advice because I had strep throat), but it's nice to feel like we're two adults having brunch and not a grumpy kid being dragged on an outing with her father.
5. I love working downtown so much you guys! Last week a couple times I just went and sat in Pioneer Square during my lunch break, watching the people go by, and it was perfect. Portland makes me so happy, and I'm still so excited that I never have to leave again if I don't want to! I'll never get tired of it.
6. I have a leetle crush! Am I going to tell you who it is? No. But y'know it's the first time I've had an actual thing for someone since I've been single. And it's super fun, if extremely nerve-wracking, because boys.
I could go on, but 6 is my lucky number so I'm gonna leave it at 6. I want to talk about the cosplay I'm working on, and the workshopping of my novel in recent weeks, but those are both topics that I want to seriously ramble about so I'll write about them later. AKA probably never. But a girl can dream.