Sunday, November 6, 2011

Patrick Wolf



I remember exactly where I was and what I was doing the first time I listened to Patrick Wolf. It was late at night upstairs in my room at my parents' house, the summer of 2005, after my first year of college. Somebody on livejournal had recommended his album Wind in the Wires and uploaded it for me. The first song I listened to was "The Libertine", and immediately I loved it. Often my favorite artists or bands are acquired tastes, but with Patrick it was immediate. I listened to the entire album in one sitting, and I remember the next day raving about it to my friend Bethany. We went on a drive into the mountains, for whatever reason (we were 19 and emo?), and listened to Cantiga and Patrick Wolf. It was one of the best moments of my life, because our only purpose was to be in a beautiful world listening to beautiful music.

Now, six years later, I still get that feeling when I listen to Patrick Wolf. It's hard for me to put into words the love I have for him and his music, because I'm afraid whatever I say will cheapen it. I know it sounds cheesy, but it's true! I've spent so many nights lying awake, depressed, listening to his music. I've spent so many days full of complete and utter joy, listening to his music. I've written stories while listening to it, I've fallen asleep to it. You know what I'm talking about if you have a favorite singer or musician or band. It's the music that speaks to your soul. I can't put it into words beyond that or this will just become a strange introspective piece on the inner workings of my psyche and spirituality or some crap, but you understand what I mean.

So on Friday I finally got to see Patrick live. It was at the Roundhouse in London, the last show on his Lupercalia tour. It was incredible. I'm still on a bit of a high from it, and I've been listening to nothing but Patrick Wolf on iTunes since then. He is an amazing performer. He connects with the crowd, he plays different instruments, dances, twirls, writhes and struts; he's like a creature from another world. He came out in a red jacket over a sparkly shirt and black ribbon bow tie, his hair all disheveled. For the encore he had a fake hawk on his shoulder. I can't handle how fabulous he is. He's this amazing, perfect balance of adorable and sexy, humble and confident; his music is at once joyous and sad. It was so overwhelming. I had a huge grin on my face the entire time.






Sadly I didn't bring my camera for the concert, because I was worried fiddling with it would distract me from the raw emotion of seeing Patrick live (I'm such a weirdo), but Shaun got some shots from the encore, which she was sweet enough to let me use in my blog post! Thank you Shaun. ♥

If you want to see some really amazing photos from the show, I highly suggest you check out this photoset on flickr. You can see Patrick in all of his red jacket fabulousness.

Also, I'm now convinced that my next tattoo will be of Patrick Wolf lyrics. I'd already thought about it for a while, but I'm decided. I think it'll be from his song "Paris" but I won't say which lyrics exactly. Not 'til they're branded on me forever!

Here's the first song I ever heard by Patrick Wolf, which remains one of my favorites to date: "The Libertine".




And here is one of my favorites from his latest album, Lupercalia, "Together".




You guys, if you're not listening to Patrick Wolf right now, fix that. He is seriously one of the most talented, beautiful, amazing people in the world. He's touched me more deeply than most things in my life have or ever will. I will always be in awe of him.

No comments: