Sunday, February 24, 2013

Reading List


Since I said I'd start making some posts about the books I've been reading, I thought it would be good to start with my reading list. I always seem to have an endless list of books that I want to read, but lately I've started buying books again, so right now the books I own take precedence. (I also have a huge pile of books living with Lucy back in Wales, most of which I got from Little, Brown when I did an internship there, but I haven't been able to afford shipping them back to the States yet.) So the books pictured aren't the whole reading list, but my goal is to finish these first before moving on to other things!

1. Etiquette & Espionage - Gail Carriger. I've actually finished this one already, but I wanted to include it because I'll be doing a review of it soon, hopefully! Gail Carriger is my favorite author at the moment, and this is the first book in her new YA series. I highly recommend anything written by her; she's amazing!

2. Clockwork Angel - Cassandra Clare. I'm about halfway through this one, but I can't seem to get into it for some unholy reason! I don't understand why, as I LOVED the Mortal Instruments series, but I guess that's how it goes. I'm putting it down for a while and will come back to it later when I'm in a different frame of mind.

3. The Hobbit - J.R.R. Tolkien. My dad read this to me when I was a kid, but I honestly haven't read it since then, at least not that I can recall. I've downloaded an audiobook version of it, so I may not actually read the book, but after seeing the movie I really want to renew my Tolkien love.

4. Mr. Darcy's Dream - Elizabeth Aston. I picked this up at The Book Exchange in Missoula, thanks to a family friend, who used her ridiculous amount of store credit to buy a bunch of us books for Christmas. Thanks Diana! I've been wanting to read more Regency romances lately, as my book is inspired by the genre in a lot of ways, and this one sounded super cute.

5. Beautiful Creatures - Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. This one's been on my radar for a while ever since I saw the movie trailer, but I didn't have much desire to read it until my bestie Rose expressed interest. So, since I love reading books with her, I decided to buy the first one and see if I liked it! I'm only about 100 pages in so far, but I'm really enjoying the writing. It's very atmospheric, and clearly the authors are good at writing, which is more than I can say for a lot of popular books these days. It's also a really fat book for YA! Hopefully I'll be reviewing this soon, once I've finished.

6. Valkyrie Rising - Ingrid Paulson. I'm not sure why I bought this, to be honest. I think the author might be represented by one of the agents I queried, and that's where I found out about it? Either way it sounded interesting and different, as it's set in Norway and it's about Valkyries, but I'm about one third of the way through and it's just not grabbing me. I'll certainly finish it, but so far it's kind of forgettable.

7. Shades of Milk and Honey - Mary Robinette Kowal. This is one I've been meaning to read for years. It's a Regency romance with magic, as far as I can tell, which is right up my street. I think I'll really like this one, or I hope I will, so it might be the next one I read after Beautiful Creatures.

8. Sharps - K.J. Parker. To be honest I have no idea what this one is about, beyond fencing and fantasy. I was in Barnes & Noble a while ago and the blurb on the back cover really grabbed me, and since I like books about swordplay (Swordspoint, anyone??), it found its way into my online shopping cart a few days later!

9. A Confusion of Princes - Garth Nix. It's no secret that I love Garth Nix. One of my favorite books of all time is Sabriel, so when I saw this I knew I had to buy it. It has a really crazy premise, and I have no doubt that it's gonna be awesome, so I'll let you know once I've read it if it lived up to my expectations!

If any of you have read these, or want to read them along with me and discuss, please do! I love discussing books. And if you have any recommendations for books you think I might like, comment away! I'm always looking for more books to add to my list of books-I-may-never-actually-read. x

No comments: