Thursday, December 15, 2011

Vienna Part 2



Time for another installment of Vienna photos! This time I'm gonna focus on the Christmas markets (or Weihnachtsmarkt, as those silly German-speakers would say), which were the main attraction for us in Vienna. In my opinion they're one of the greatest things in existence. If you live in the UK there are a bunch around; I know there are at least two in London, one by the Thames near the Eye, and then another in Hyde Park I think, and undoubtedly there are others around. If you have a chance you should totally go to one, they're so quaint and lovely, and at night they're amazing. You have to drink Gluehwein (mulled wine) while you're at it! If you're lucky you'll get a cool mug to drink it in. I kept my mug, bad me, but I effectively paid 2 euros for it so I don't feel too guilty.

Anyway, we went to three different Christmas markets in Vienna. Two were on the first full day there, in the evening, and the third was the next day at Schoenbrunn Palace. It was incredibly cold, but we warmed up with mulled wine and hot cocoa, and bread bowls of soup. The market stalls were so beautiful, all lit up and full of Christmassy things. Christmas is by far my favorite time of year; I love everything about Christmas. I love the cold weather, and being inside drinking hot cocoa while the world outside grows quiet and snow-covered. I love all the lights, and Christmas music, and gingerbread cookies, and eating good food with family. I could go on for ages about why I love Christmas but I'll just shut up and show you the photos!














No comments: